Chinese style Spicy Salted chicken
- 500g of chicken pieces
- 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp of bottled ginger or freshly grated ginger
- 1 tbsp of chilly flakes
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 cup of chopped spring onion
- 3 tbsp of dark soy souce
- 40- 60 mls of rice wine vinegar (substitutes: sherry vinegar or white wine)
- Salt to taste for the marinade
- 1 kg of sea salt
- For the chicken marinade add the garlic, pepper, chilly, ginger, spring oinions and salt to the chicken. The salt can be varied in taste, since the soy sauce already contains salt. Then add the dark soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. Mix this thoroughly and leave it in the fridge to marinade for about an hour.
- After the chicken has been fully rested, wrap each piece in foil.
- Add 1/2 of the kg of salt to the bottom of a rice cooker or slow cooker pan, place the wrapped chicken in the pan, then add the rest of the salt to the top of the foiled chicken. making sure the top if fully covered. Cook this for about an hour, either in slow or rice cookers.
- Once it's cooked, slowly remove the foil, make sure any salt from the pan does not enter the cooked chicken. The kilo of salt can still be used as regualr salt, don't let it go to waste.
- Serve hot with rice or as a side dish. Enjoy!