Home made Bagels from Scratch
- 375g flour or Baker's flour
- 5g instant yeast
- 210ml water
- 20g sugar
- 10g butter
- Salt to taste
For sugar syrup:
- 100g sugar
- 1/12 liter of water
- Add the flour, yeast and butter into the mixing bowl. Mix this on a low speed for bout minute and add the 20g of sugar. While it's being mixed add the salt, then gradually add the water. Mix it on a low speed for 10-15 minutes, until it becomes a smooth dough.
- Once the dough is doubled in size, flour the bench or mat and kneed the dough. When fully kneeded spread the dough into a roll and divide the dough into equal sized peices, approximately 80-100g in weight.
- Shape the peices of dough into circles or rectangles using a rolling pin, fold the long end of the dough to the center to make a narrower rectangle. Then using your hands roll in to a roll or pipe shape, press the ends down and join the ends to make a wide doughnut shape. Place the bagels on a tray and let it double in size.
- Place 100g of sugar into about 1/12 liters of water, then bring it to boil. Keep on low heat in preparations for the bagels.
- Slowy add the bagels into the boiling syrup and cook on each side for about 30 seconds. After all the bagels are covered in the syrup, place them in the oven for about 180 degrees for about 20 minutes. To keep the bagels moist make sure to keep a tray of water in the oven under the tray. Bake untill golden brown.