Hath maaluwa or the seven vegetable curry is a taditional Sri Lankan mixed vegetable curry together with loads of flavours. Normally it is served during the Sri Lankan new year season to balance the nutrients level with the busy life style as well as the oily food that people consume during the time.
Sri Lanka is a tiny island gifted with natural beauty diverse geographies , different climates and variety of different vegetables grows from province to province. So this curry is different from province to province as they normally use the seasonal harvest in this curry.
With our busy life style we always lack of having a balanced diet. This is a really nice way of doing a mixed vegetable curry to serve with rice or any kind of a bread.
Instead of using the vegetables I have used you can use mushrooms, green peas, snake beans,pumpkin, yam (root veggies) spinach or anything seasonal or as you wish. To give a little more flavour you can add some tomatoes too.
Seven Vegetables Curry (Hath Maaluwa)( Traditional Sri Lankan Curry)
- - Leek
- - Carrots
- - Chickpeas
- - Green Beans
- - Cashews
- - Eggplant
- - Onion
- - Ginger
- - Garlic
- - Curry Leaves
- - Cinnamon
- - Pundan Leaves
- - Fenugreek Seeds
- - Green Chillies
- - Curry Powder
- - Pepper
- - Chillie Powder
- - Tumeric Powder
- - Salt
- - Oil for tempering
- -Cumin & Mustard seeds
- Soak or add boiling water to cashews.
- Soak the chick peas overnight or use canned chick peas.
- In to a pot add the cashews and potatoes. (If you are using soaked chick peas add cashew and chick peas first and later potatoes)
- Add spices and onion, garlic ginger, curry leaves , panda leaves,cinnamon leaving half of the onions ,garlic ginger, and curry leaves.
- Add enough water and cook on low heat until its half cooked.
- Then add carrots & cook several minutes.
- Add green beans and egg plants.
- Then add leeks and chick peas next.
- After a minute add coconut milk and cook until it boils and thicken the gravy.
- Then in another pot add 1 tblsp oil and add cumin & mustard seeds.
- When they star spluttering add onion, garlic,ginger,and curry leaves.
- Brown them & add the curry in to it.
- The curry is ready to serve.