In Sri Lanka We cook chicken in many differant ways. This is one way of doing it. This is a spicy and really aromatic dish. If you can use coconut oil it will infuse the flavours.
Using coconut milk in this recipe is optional. You can adjust the level of spices always to your tatse. I still remember how my grandmother used to grind the pepper to a smooth paste before she cook this. Then she marinate the chicken with the pepper paste and salt about and hour. We as kids found it fiery at that time. Now with the past memories I really enjoy the way of traditional cooking. :)
Black Pepper Chicken (Sri Lankan Style)
- 750g Chicken thigh fillets cut in to cubes or Chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup thick coconut milk (Optional)
- Tomatoes cut in to cubes
- 2 Onions sliced to large chunks
- 1 Onion finely sliced
- 2 Sweet capsicums
- 2 Green chilles
- 1 tblsp stock powder
- Ginger and garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Peppercorns
- 1 tblsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp tumeric powder
- 1 tsp chillie powder
- 1/2 tblsp cumin powder
- 1 tblsp corriander powder
- 3 Sprigs curry leaves
- 2 tblsp oil
- Add 2 tblsp oil in to a pan
- Add cardamon, cloves cinnamon and pepper corns and fry untill it releases the aroma.
- Add curry leaves ginger garlic paste and the onions and fry a minute.
- Add spices and fry few seconds.
- Then add chicken, green chilles, salt and tomatoes with the stock powder.
- Cook 15 min with out adding any water.
- Add coconut milk and cook 5 more min. If you like gravy switch off the stove or cook longer for a dry curry.
- Add onoin and sweet capsicums last min.
- Serve with rice.