Water spinach or Kang kung is a very famous plant all over Asia. In Sri Lanka we find it every where there is enough water for it to grow. When we were kids Still I can remember the famous little river in Galle ( we called that Kunu ela) was full with Kang kung. You cant see a drop of water as water spinach has covered it. When we wanted a bunch we had the chance of picking them from paddy fields or even from our own yard. Once hand picked them and cook it the taste is devine than what buy from shop grown with lots of fertilizers.
In restaurants this dish is a very famous & an expensive dish. You can all ways adjust the amount of garlic that you like and also the spices.
Water Spinach with Garlic
- Water Spinach
- 2 Onions
- Vegetable Stock
- 2 Tablespoons of Fish Sauce
- Green Chillies
- Wash and cut the water spinach in to stems and leaves seperately
- Leave a pan on the stove with oil to be hot. Bring it to a high temperature.
- Add garlic cook few seconds
- Add onion, chillies,& fish stock.
- Add water spinach stems and cook several minutes.
- Add the leaves and add enough salt to taste.
- Serve hot.