I have already uploaded a video before and I thought of sharing a better recipe with you all. This is a very soft and moist bun that you can bake the next day or even you can keep several days in fridge after baking too. Simply heat before you eat. :)
Sri Lankan Fish Buns ( Maalu Paan) (Updated Recipe)
For the dough
- 500g Bread Flour
- 300ml Warm Water
- 3 Eggs (1 for brushing the tops)
- 8g Yeast
- 60g Butter or Margarine
- 25g Sugar
For the Filling
- 1 Can Mackerel/tuna
- Onion finely chopped
- Several cloves of garlic chopped
- 250g mashed potatoes
- Curry leaves finely chopped
- Chilli powder
- Curry powder
- Margarine or any oil
- Green chillies
- Turmeric Powder
- Add half of the warm water in to the mixing bowl and add sugar and yeast and leave to activate 5 min.
- Next add flour egg, salt and start kneading adding the rest of the water little by little to make a smooth dough about 5 min.
- Next add butter and continue kneading 10 more min.
- Grease a bowl and put the kneaded dough and leave in a warm place until double in size.
- Meanwhile make the filling adding oil in to a pan.
- Fry the onion, chillies , curry leaves and garlic.
- Add mackerel and cook 2 min. After add spices, salt and the potato.
- Mix and leave to cool. If you like can add a little bit of lemon or lime juice too.
- Take the dough out when double in size and put flour to the bench top.
- Knead the dough adding a bit more flour to make it smoother as its a sticky dough.
- Next cut that in to equal size portions.
- Leave five min to rest.
- Next roll to a circle using a rolling pin.
- Put one big spoon full mix and fold edges and seal. (watch video)
- Next put them on baking trays and leave to double in size again.
- After brush the tops with eggs and bake on 180 about 20-30 min or until golden brown.
- Serve with tomato sauce.