Chocolate swiss rolls are one of my childhood favourites. I loved the lightness as well as the taste. This is one of the recipies I love to bake all the time.
When you bake a swiss roll make sure not to over cook it. The other thing to remember is to cover it once you take out of the oven. When you cover it it stops cracking when folding as well as it holds the moist. If you fill with this butter cream you can freeze this up to 6 months with out a problem.
Chocolate Swiss Roll
- 6 Egg yolks
- 6 Egg whites
- 1 tblsp Cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 50 ml olive oil
- 100g Self raising flour
- 120 g Caster sugar
- 80 ml hot water
- 1/4 icing sugar
- 1 cup thickened cream
- Preheat oven to 180.
- Grease two 30 cm swiss roll trays.
- Add the egg whites in to a mixing bowl and beat until stiff.
- Add half of the sugar in to the egg whites.
- Transfer the egg whites in to anothe bowl or use another mixing bowl to do the rest of the recipe.
- Mix the egg yolks with the remaining sugar.
- Beat until its pale in colour.
- Add self raising flour and mix it.
- While mixing add the dissolved chocolate in hot water in to the egg yolks.
- Add the oil.
- Now fold the egg whites into the mix three times slowly.
- Spread evenly.
- Pour it greased swiss roll trays and bake 180 about 10 -12 min.
- Take out and cover with tea towels.
- After few minutes transfer that on to papers with sugar on it .Cover and leave to cool.
- Whip the cream with icing sugar.
- Spread cream on the sponge.
- Roll from one end to the other.
- Slice and serve with a hot cup of tea.