Naran Kavum/ Pol Kavum/ (Sweet coconut Balls)In some parts of Sri Lanka Pol kavum or the Naran Kavum are very famous during the new year. Coconut is common in every part of Sri Lanka and people love to eat any thing infused or mixed with coconut.
I read an article about the values of coconut. Its amazing to know every detail about consuming coconut and how it keep the people away from dimentia. Though we havent had any idea about these long time ago, I can remember we rearely saw a person dying from dimetia, though it is very common in some part of the world.
The shape of the mandarine, gave these sweet treats the name naran kavum. The swet coconut and treacle mix cooked on the stove gives these a devine taste. After making it a ball and deep fried in a batter make these look awesome on the plate.
- 1/4 Cup water ( will need more for the batter)
- 1/2 Cup freshly grated coconut
- 100g Rice Flour ( will need more for the batter)
- 100g Brown Sugar
- Crushed cardamon Seeds
- Tumeric powder
- Into a pot add sugar, cardamon, and water and cook several minutes.
- Add the cocnut cook sevearl minutes.
- Add rice flour little by little until it forms a nice smooth paste.
- Transfer it a bowl and leave it to cool down.
- Make the batter adding, water to the remaining rice flour and tumeric powder.
- MAke balls out of the coconut. And dip in batter.
- Deep fry it untill golden brown.