Sri Lankan fish pasties are a very popular snack. The pastry gives it a real taste when its deep fried. The taste of the fish and potatoes with added spices gives it a awesome taste. I can remember my mum used to make them for alms givings and for as a snack for special occations.
Its worth making them for snacking or as a finger food. If you dont like to consume a lot of oil in your food add a teaspoon ful baking powder in to the dough and bake them on 180 about 20 minutes.
You can make several batches at once and freeze them for future use. You can freeze them for 3-4 months with out a problem. If you feeze after frying, just thaw them in the microwave or bake them for several minutes.
Sri Lankan Fish Pasties
For the pastry.........
- 250 g Plain flour / or 2 cups of plain flour.
- 115 g Butter (Chilled)
- 60 ml of chillied Water
For the Filling
- 1 can of Mackeral
- 2 boiled & Mashed potatoes
- Onions finely diced
- Curry leaves
- Curry powder
- Chillie powder
- Add butter and plain flour in to a mixing bowl.
- Add a liitle water make a smooth dough. (nearly 5-10 Min)
- While kneading the dough make the filling.
- Add oil in to a pan & add onion , Chillies and curry leaves.
- Cook 2-3 min until onions are soft.
- Add the spices ,salt and fish and cook it a minute
- Add potatoes and cook another minute.
- And leave it to cool.
- Put the pastry in the fridge for 30 min.
- Then divide the dough in to two equal parts and then each in to a circle.
- Cut the dough in to circles.
- Fill with the filling and press with a fork.
- Deep fry it until golden brown.
- Serve with tomato sauce.